Welcome to the Florida-Costa Rica Linkage Institute!About
The Florida-CostaLinkage Institute (FLORICA) is one of 11 institutes initiated in 1986 by the Florida Legislature. The Linkage Institutes were created "to assist in the development of stronger economic, cultural, educational, and social ties between Florida and select countries through the promotion of expanded public and private dialogue on cooperative research and technical assistance activities, increased bilateral commerce, student and faculty exchange, cultural exchange, and the enhancement of language training skills. The Florida-Costa Rica Linkage Institute was established in 1986 as one of the initial three Institutes. For more information, please click here.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- Be a citizen of Costa Rican.
- Be accepted to a Florida public university or college.
- Must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher at the time of application and maintain the institutional GPA thereafter.
- Students awarded a tuition exemption must return to Costa Rica within 3 years after their tenure of graduate or undergraduate study for a length of time equal to their exemption period.
- Exemptions will be granted for up to 12 undergraduate credit hours or up to 9 graduate credit hours of study per term.
- Tuition exemption may be awarded at the undergraduate, graduate, and vocational level for a degree, non-degree, and certificate programs of study. Priority will be given to degree-seeking students. The exemptions cannot be used for non-credit intensive English study.
- Tuition exemption cannot be applied to distance learning courses.
- Priority will be granted to continuing applicants.
- Completion of the application and submission of all requested supporting documents does not guarantee that the applicant will receive a tuition exemption.
All applicants are required to submit an application and the supporting documents listed below via the application website. Any late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Application form
- A sealed official transcript showing most recent term*
- Copy of valid Costa Rican passport
- Copy of valid Costa Rican ID
- Acceptance letter from Florida public college/university**
**Please note, this item is only required of first-time applicants or continuing applicants who have transferred to a different institution or who have been accepted into a new program (e.g. post-graduate degree).
Exemptions are granted yearly. Therefore, students must apply each year. Applicants can expect notification via email by end of April.
Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021 Terms
Applications Open: January 2, 2020
Application Deadline: April 1, 2020
Summer 2021 Term
Submit a copy of official sealed transcripts by January 27, 2021.
Official transcripts must be sent directly from your institution with the institution's seal.
Electronic official transcripts delivered using a PDF transcript delivery service (e.g. Parchment, Credential Solutions, Maia Learning) over a secure network to the email address or institution you designate as the recipient. This service may or may not be offered at your institution. Electronic transcripts can be emailed to the following email address: Linkage-FLCR@fsu.edu or Florida State University.
Alternatively, sealed official transcripts may be mailed to the following address:
FSU International Programs
Attn: Florida Costa Rica Linkage
282 Champions Way
PO Box 3062420
Tallahassee, FL 32306
If you have attended an institution outside of the United States, you will be required to submit an evaluated transcript. The transcript evaluation should include a course-by-course evaluation and GPA calculation.
If you have any questions about the application process or site, please contact:
Co-Director | Florida-Costa Rica Linkage
International Programs | Internship Coordinator