Florida-Costa Rica Linkage InstituteWelcome! The Legislature of the State of Florida created International Linkage Institutes to assist in the development of strong economic, educational, and social ties between Florida and countries considered important to Florida’s future. The Florida-Costa Rica Linkage Institute was established in 1986 as one of the initial three Institutes.
Costa Rican citizens who have applied and been accepted to a Florida public university or college may apply for out-of-state tuition exemptions through the Florida-Costa Rica Institute Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Program.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- A requirement of at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Students awarded a tuition exemption must return to Costa Rica within 3 years after their tenure of graduate or undergraduate study for a length of time equal to their exemption period.
- Exemptions will be granted for up to 12 undergraduate credit hours or up to 9 graduate credit hours of study per term.
- Tuition exemption may be awarded at the undergraduate, graduate, and vocational level for degree, non-degree, and certificate programs of study. Priority will be given to degree-seeking students. The exemptions cannot be used for non-credit intensive English study.
- Tuition exemption cannot be applied to distance learning courses.
- Priority will be granted to continuing applicants.
- Completion of the application and submission of all requested supporting documents does not a guarantee that the applicant will receive a tuition exemption.
All applicants are required to submit an application and the supporting documents listed below via our applications site. Any late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Application form
- Sealed official transcript showing most recent term*
- Copy of valid Costa Rican passport
- Copy of valid Costa Rican ID
- Acceptance letter from Florida public college/university**
**Please note, this item is only required of first-time applicants or continuing applicants who have transferred to a different institution or who have been accepted into a new program (e.g. post-graduate degree).
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR FALL 2019 - SUMMER 2020 SEMESTERS IS NOW CLOSED. To apply for the 2020-2021 academic school year, please check back in January 2020.
Exemptions are granted on a yearly basis. Therefore, students must submit an application each year. Applicants can expect notification via email at the end of April 2019.
Summer 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020 Terms
Applications Open: February 27, 2019
Application Deadline: April 3, 2019
Summer 2020 Term
Submit copy of official sealed transcripts by January 29, 2020.
If you have attended an institution outside of the United States, you will be required to submit an evaluated transcript. The transcript evaluation should include a course-by-course evaluation and GPA calculation.
If you have any questions about the application process or site, please contact:
International Programs | Internship Coordinator